About The Event
The Bristol One Billion Rising flashmob 2014 on 14th February will take the following route:
· A flashmob at Clifton Down shopping centre at 3pm, followed by marching and chanting down Whiteladies Road, past the triangle and down Park Street to College Green.
· A second dance on College Green at 4pm. From there we will march across the centre of Bristol and up Corn Street to the Corn Exchange
· A third dance outside the Corn Exchange at 4.30pm, followed by a march back down Corn Street to the fountains on St Augustine’s Parade.
· A fourth dance by the cascade steps at 4.45pm, followed by a final march down the waterfront and into Millennium Square by 5pm.
· A final candlelit flashmob at 5.15pm in Millennium Square.
It would be great if you could join us for all 5 dances, and lots of loud marching and chanting in between. We've got the Bristol Ambling Band to accompany us through the streets, so we'll definitely be noticed! But if you can only make it to one or two, that's great too! The more the merrier!
The last dance will be a candlelit flashmob at 5.15pm in MILLENNIUM SQUARE, followed by an open mic session. Anyone who wishes to share a story, poem, song, rap or anything else can grab the mic and do so. If you can't make it on the day, and would like us to share your story for you, anonymously or otherwise, please send it to us [email protected]
and we will read it out for you.
There will also be a car following us from each flashmob location to the next, so if you are not able to march with us and would like a lift, email us. First come first served because obviously we can only fit so many people in one car!
Like our facebook page (facebook.com/bristolrise) and follow us on twitter (@bristolrise) for news & changes to the schedule, and live updates on the day.
DRESSCODE: Wear BLACK & RED and bring your dancing shoes! Dress appropriately for the weather and the time of year (it will be getting dark while we do it, so wear layers!) If it rains, we’ll get wet!
About The Organization
Bristol Rise is a grass-roots, fledgling organisation started up by 8 local Bristolian women - some of whom are themselves survivors of domestic abuse - who feel passionate about rising up against gender violence on a local and ultimately global level. The group was formed after the resounding success of One Billion Rising Bristol on 14 February 2013 when hundreds of people took to the streets of Bristol and - through dance, song and march - demanded an end to violence against women. Bristol Rise has since hosted a community day and a charity fundraiser which raised over £2000 for Next Link. They are currently petitioning for sex education to be modernised. Their annual community day and charity fundraiser will take place this 15 February 2014 in support of One25, a local charity who works to improve the lives of women trapped in street sex work. See our blog for more info www.bristolrise.blogspot.co.uk
Upload a photo taken at this event