FROM 14 FEBRUARY TO 8 MARCH 2019, WE ARE CALLING ON ACTIVISTS AROUND THE WORLD TO HOLD ARTISTIC UPRISINGS – TO ESCALATE POLITICAL CONSCIOUSNESS AND URGE RADICAL CALLS TO ACTION.
- Hold and stage an event that brings together women who hold identities that are often marginalized and face oppression from each community – and have them tell their own stories through monologues/ spoken word/ song/ film/ dance.
TELL THE STORIES OF WOMEN!
MAKE THEIR INVISIBLE STORIES VISIBLE!
EXPOSE THE WORLD TO WOMEN’S ISSUES FROM THEIR LOCAL CONTEXTS AND FROM THEIR OWN VOICES!
- Invite radical artists who have curated creative work that fits the theme of OBR Revolution: Solidarity to join!
An additional Artistic UpRising event!
STAGE THE VAGINA MONOLOGUES AS PART OF THE V TO THE 20TH RISINGS that began 14 February 2018 and runs through March 2019!
As a separate event! Stage the play on a different date from the Artistic UpRising event – either as a lead up Rising event or your main OBR action!
The Vagina Monologues is celebrating its 20th anniversary from 14 February 2018 until March 2019. In addition to holding an Artistic UpRising event, stage the play in your communities – but instead of using mostly artists – stage the play with grassroots marginalized women performing the pieces!
The Vagina Monologues birthed the V-Day movement in 1998. ONE BILLION RISING is the radical child of V-Day. The play continues to be the catalyst, the root – for the revolutionary language of the body. OBR is the next powerful portal of transformation – and the alchemy of art, body and revolution IS OUR CREATIVE REBELLION, PROVOCATION AND DISRUPTION.
FOR BOTH ARTISTIC UPRISING EVENTS AND THE VAGINA MONOLOGUES PERFORMANCES – try and stage them outside theaters, where it is a more radical setting and space – in symbolic places where you can express and perform your RESISTANCE.
Invite people in positions of authority and influence (local governments/ congressional representatives, parliamentarians, senators/ head of police, churches and education institutions among others) to watch. Make a concentrated effort to outreach and invite those who are creating policies/ those who have influence in government, education etc., those who hold economic power…
End your Artistic Uprising events and The Vagina Monologues performances with the global OBR dances or your own local OBR original dances.
Learn more about how to stage The Vagina Monologues
An additional Solidarity Dance Action for this year!
LEARN THE OBR TILBURG ORIGINAL DANCE!
Students of Fontys Academy for Dance Education in Tilburg, the Netherlands – rocked One Billion Rising in 2014 with this astounding original dance and song that they created! Since then, the song and dance has gained such popularity among the OBR global activists. Students from Fontys Academy have been dancing it for their OBR events ever since – now bringing it outside of their school and into communities and town centers!
Last year, domestic workers in Hong Kong learned and performed the dance at their annual OBR event, not only because they loved the lyrics and moves, but also because they said they wanted to be in solidarity with the young artist from across the world who created such an inspiring song – and a song that gives them joy and hope in the face of everything they struggle with as migrant domestic workers!
This year we are encouraging activists around the world to take from the inspired radical connection of these young artists and domestic workers – and learn this amazing new dance in the spirit of RISING SOLIDARITY!
OBR TILBUR – FONTYS ACADEMY
“WE ARE BEAUTIFUL”
Choreography by Nele Vandeneede
Music by students of the Fontys Rockacademy
Tilburg Vocals by: Lisa Kraak & Marleen Langevoort
Composed by: Sasha Rangas, Fleur Van Gorp, Arthur Wils
Produced by: Jonathan Pitch.
ART AND ADVOCACY: REVOLUTIONARY PATH TO TRANSFORMATION
Art provokes thought, stirs the heart and imagination, and has the power to incite people into action!
- Help bring in other movements that are rising and fighting against similar forms of violence, exploitation, exclusion and oppression because they are OPEN and INCLUSIVE
- Are powerfully effective in sustaining people’s attention on issues of VAW (violence against women) – a force needed in the constant struggle against the “normalization” of violence
- Bring creative energy that enables the popularization and accessibility of the analysis on all forms and roots of VAW, and the creativity remains the key factor in OBR’s ability to reach out and mobilize communities and groups in large numbers
- Garner public and visible support by and from the communities, helping overcome taboos and break cycles of stigma and shame about speaking out on violence
- Allow infusion into traditionally patriarchal spaces, to introduce VAW issues for consciousness awareness -raising, as well as ushering negotiations for change with perceived “gatekeepers” of patriarchy
- Firmly sustain the theme of “Revolution”, because they continue to bring in artists into OBR – who create radical, bold, provocative and fearless art
- Express cultural sovereignty in political spaces– with the creation of local, original songs, dances, poetry, theatre and other art forms that reflect strong cultural patrimony over the campaign, as well as reflect each community, country and region’s self determined political reasons and ways for Rising.
Share your Rising Creative Resistance Plans and Actions with us!
Like our Facebook page: V-Day
Join us on Twitter: @V-Day
Join us on Instagram: @one_billion_rising and @vdayorg