FLASH MOB WILL BE on North plaza Henn. County Government center. outside.
We highly suggest you take the mono-rail as parking will be difficult. (the flash mob location is right on mono-rail stop.) or bike, bus or carpool.
be at north plaza between 4-415pm. we are planning to dance 3x, starting sometime shortly after 430pm. Read our facebook page for specifics on flash mob tips for the actual event.
Wear red and black and a white arm band. it will be about 30 degrees.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE FLASHMOB: ONE BILLION RISING-TC
For: Dancers and Spectators:
PLEASE READ & SHARE:
(1) Who, what, when, where, how:
a. Girls and women are dancing to the choreographed dance "Break the Chain, which is the One Billion Rising theme song.
b. Outdoors, Hennepin County Government Center, 300 6th Street South, Mpls 55487 Please gather between 4:00 pm-4:15 pm We are planning to dance at about 4:40 pm and we will do the the dance a total of 3 times. The whole event will be over by about 5pm.
c. Parking will be tight. Carpool, bike, lightrail, bus. (The plaza is directly adjacent to the lightrail.)
d. Red & Black: We invite dancers and spectators to wear black and red, the theme colors of One Billion Rising. Be creative and have fun with this!
e. White armbands: please wear one - if you are a woman or girl who has been sexually or physically abused or are anyone who personally knows someone who has been. (Ripped up white sheets work well. There will be some arm bands available at the plaza by the 4 posters)
f. It is predicted to be about 30 degrees. You will get warm dancing! Dress accordingly.
g. The event will be video-taped. The tape will be posted on onebillionrising.org and utube. A notice of when it is available for viewing will be posted on our Facebook page or you can find out by emailing us.
h. We are in need of 10 -15 more volunteers of all genders to help us at the event. So, if you arent going to dance and want to help, please let us know! Email us at onebillionrisingTC@gmail.com or just show up at the plaza by 4pm and find Marianne or Irene.
(2) What to do when you get to the event site:
a. Signs: When you get to the event site look for 4 white signs being held in four corners of the space. They each have the one billion rising woman symbol and each shows a One Billion Rising theme word: RISE, STRIKE, DANCE, ONE BILLION RISING.
b. Words on signs: Pick one of the words and stand near it. It doesnt matter which word. In an effort to equally disperse our dancers and spectators at the four corners we ask that you & your group choose one of the theme words and loosely congregate near that corner. This corner is where you will enter the dance space.
c. Hang out. Mingle. Remember, we are downtown Minneapolis at rush hour and after work. There will be people who are not part of our flash mob group unwittingly walking through and around the space. (Hopefully they will stick around to see what is going on.)
d. Ribbon sticks: Watch for four people waving long sticks with black and red ribbons. These ribbon sticks are a sign that the dance will start in a few minutes. When you see the ribbon sticks waving, quietly leave your corner and walk towards the interior circle of the space (first ring around the iced over fountain) and fill the space in front of your corner. Every dancer will be facing the lightrail and the tall flag poles, which means everyone will be facing the Mississippi RIver. Everyone will have their back to the Government Center.
Line up 2-3 people wide within the interior circle space closest to the fountain. Come as close to the north end of the plaza as you reasonably can. If necessary, overflow dancing space will be in the secondary exterior ring. The second overflow dancing space will be where ever we can fit!!!! We are hoping to have volunteers guide you into your dancing area.
Once you are in your dancing space take 5 - 10 deep breathes! Ground yourself into the earth. Please remain quiet. Relax!!
d. Hush...we will hold silence in the space for all those women and girls before us and around the world who have been the victims of abuse and violence.
e. While the dancers are getting into place, Mary, the lead dancer, will take her place in the very front of the dancers under the flag poles, facing the direction of the Mississippi River. Mary will have her back to the dancers and to the government center. She will lead the dance.
f. In each of the four corners there will be at least one assigned dancer who knows the choreography really well. She will call out the steps. SHE WILL HAVE ON A RED ARM BAND.
LISTEN TO THE MUSIC - YOU KNOW WHAT COMES NEXT!!
g. When it seems that everyone is in place, the music will start. And you all will be beautiful.
WE WILL PERFORM THE DANCE THREE TIMES!!!
Stay in place. There will be a brief break between the songs ending and starting again.
3. When the dance is over:
a. WE ROSE! Cheer, clap, hug, jump. REPEAT. ;)
b. When all of the dancing is done, everyone is welcome to sign the One Billion Rising TC banners and to take pictures by it.
4. Stone Arch Bridge event is about 6 blocks away. You are welcome to join their Break the Chain dance at about 5:30 pm. Check their website for updated info.
5. Dance again to Break the Chain at Powderhorm Park event 6:30- 8:30. Flash mobbers are encouraged to dance to Break the Chain between 6:45-7:15.
PLEASE TELL US HOW THIS EXPEREINCE HAS IMPACTED YOUR LIFE VIA our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/323685607749055/ or our email: onebillionrisingTC@gmail.com
6. Stay tuned for future opportunities to dance Break the Chain... International Womens Day? May Day? Share your ideas on the Facebook page.
Thank you so very much for participating in this life changing event. Love, Irene & Marianne One Billion Rising Twin Cities.MN FLASH MOB Today at 4:00pm downtown Mpls: Henn County Government Center - North Plaza -----WE, in Minnesota, ARE AIMING FOR hundreds of women and girls to dance in this FLASH MOB in solidarity with billions of women around the world.
WE WILL make this a united international female action against male violence against women.
*One in three women on the planet will be raped or beaten in her lifetime! (Think about this number!)
*One billion women is an atrocity!
*One billion women and girls dancing is a REVOLUTION!
STRIKE, DANCE, RISE in MINNESOTA & demand an end to male violence against women and girls.
Steps to be involved:
(1) INVITE ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS to this event.
(2) Learn the Flash Mob Dance: Gather together your female friends, classmates, family, partners, lovers, and co-workers. Have fun together learning to dance the international flash mob dance (instructions on the site onebillionrising.org). We use the "Break the Chain" training video done by the young women from Brooklyn HS of the Arts.
(3) Put on your red and black or purchase a One Billion Rising T-shirt from their website. Also, wear a white armband if you have been sexually or physically abused by a man or if you personally know a girl or woman who has.
(4) Join us for the FLASH MOB: Thursday, late afternoon, 2/14, Downtown Mpls. Exact place and time to be disclosed around 1:30pm that afternoon via facebook and twitter. OUTDOORS. Dress for cold and use light rail or bus or bike.
(5) Watch our Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/323685607749055/324822527635363/?notif_t=event_mall_reply To get updated information on the flash mob event, to learn about sites hosting dance training events, to help with the event.
Facebook event page: one billion rising twin cities.mn flash mob
FOR MORE INFORMATION: onebillionrisingTC@gmail.com
North Plaza Henn County Govern Center (Minneapolis, MN)
306 south 6th street
Minneapolis, MN 55487
|Directions:||use mono-rail or carpool or bus|
50 people have signed up to attend this event